Monday, December 30, 2013

10 Things Learned in December

This will be the first time I have posted one of these monthly lists. I so enjoyed reading the posts by Emily Freeman on her blog here and decided it would be fun to partake in them!

Things that I have learned this month...

1. Albuquerque is nothing like Phoenix. The roads are unpredictable, winding, and much more difficult to memorize. The road system in Phoenix is set up like a grid (even the highways!) and it is more simple to find your way around there. Needless to say, it will take awhile for me to really learn how to get around in Albuquerque.

2. When I am not creating, I become very depressed. Since moving, routine and normal life has felt difficult to return to and, thus, I have not done any writing or music playing. Nor have I tried any DIY crafts or recipes from Pinterest! I have had to seriously confront myself about this and accept parts of myself that are difficult to live with (i.e. I am easily distracted a lot!). I think an essential part to vibrant health is expressing yourself and creating things you love. Now, my goal is to get myself to focus.

3. As part of my slow journey towards organic living, I have discovered (through much research) the dangerous levels of chlorine (and flouride!) in city water. It is disgusting! Thankfully, my husband, who shares my desire for all things natural, purchased an awesome shower head filter from Berkey HERE and we immediately noticed the benefits! Dry skins and rashes begone!

4. Grown-up responsibilities stress me out majorly. Anything with money, cars, bills, identity matters, paperwork, and the list could go on and on. Well, I cannot say that I just learned this. I always knew this about myself, but there were some stressors this month that really made me reflect on this struggle and how often I mentally try to escape real-life things. I will be the first to admit that I am a failure in this area, which is why I have avoided a *real* job for so long, but there is a determined part of me that desires to learn and grown in this area. I do not like the feeling of submitting to a weakness in myself and would like for the chance to overcome and grow in any area. Thus why I am committed to finding myself a part-time job this new year.

5. After 18 years of not observing Christmas, I realize that I really want to celebrate it now. It is a long story, but I have been renewed in the meaning of Advent and the Christmas season this year and, although my husband and I were unable to do much this year, I am already planning traditions and practices to make this holiday our own next year. My Pinterest boards just exploded!

6. Trials and sorrows humble you in a way that nothing else can. I have felt like an ignorant and naive child much lately. I have many burdens on my heart that have brought about a fresh realization about life and people and relationships. With ongoing trials that I have experienced in my family's lives, I have felt my body age forward in time and my heart age backward in time. It has been a strange combination and has currently propelled me forward to seek much time for healing and grieving in my private life.

7. Understanding my own need for boundaries (a word that I have despised for a long time). I don't plan on reading that popular best-seller on boundaries that is available at every book store, but I have accepted that there is truth in the fact that it is healthy and okay and good to draw lines between yourself and family members or friends who may be, for lack of a better word, life-suckers. I enjoy pursuing, building, and investing in relationships that I often refuse to see that I need to step back or leave certain people to their own devices rather than trying to counsel and walk them through every little thing. Also, if they don't desire a relationship built on honesty, openness, and truth than it is okay to let them go rather than spending so much heart trying to get them to be at that place.



8. My need for rejuvenating rest in every area of my life. I am going into the new year deactivating my Facebook account for a bit so that I can organize and focus on a list of pursuits (artistic and health goals) I have for myself, many of which include routine daily health practices like yoga/pilates, walking, deep breathing, larger intake of nourishing teas like Tulsi, etc.

9. This is the true freedom of life in Christ [video excerpt below] something that has taken me a long time to embrace in all my moralism and legalism. I thank my husband for being an instrument of this grace message to me.





10. I am a Pinterest addict. There is just no other way to put it. I have learned that I get energy and stimulation from ideas. My head loves to drown in possibilities. Pinterest is a bad place for a person like myself, haha!

8 comments:

  1. sounds like a fruitful month indeed! blessings as a new year begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and stopping by! :) Many blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Creating can be so simple—sometimes just experiencing again the things we've created in the past is just what we need. Other times it's helpful to have a more elaborate goal, say, of writing a book or novel. :)

    I especially love the last one. It's something I'm still learning and feels like a relief.

    Best new year wishes, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Jade. I didn't think of it in that way, but that is very profound. There is a comfort, familiarity, and inspiration found in doing those things we did in the past. :)
      Many new year wishes to you as well, Jade! An e-mail is coming your way soon! :)

      Delete
  3. A great and encouraging post dear! We'll be talking more soon I am sure.

    P.S. You are SUCH a hippie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! We knew it would happen. I am in all the way or not at all! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love #2 -I'm the same way. I feel like I need to make something every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog via Katie's so I thought I'd say hi! I'm definitely a huge Pinterest fan too! :)

    ReplyDelete